- Walk up to saussignac (1km) enjoy the castle and the life of our beautiful village, Saussignac is a certified ‘village bio engagé, an engaged organic village meaning it has more than 25% organic farms and no pesticide use for the village maintenance. Visit the co-operative café for a coffee.
- Breakfast on the balcony or the terrace, admire the stunning views of the organic vineyards and dream about what you will do today: birding and deer-spotting is excellent especially at dawn and dusk.
- Walk the organic wine trail, we have marked on the 14 hectare organic estate and admire the wonders of nature wild orchids and horsetail, a plant from the age of the dinosaurs.
- Take picnic bag for a magical bike ride on local roads of Saussignac or picnic under the trees on the farm. Our small oak forest and picnic pastures provide great entertainment for adventurers young and old.
- Pick fresh fruit from the tree and eat it immediately for a taste sensation: the fruit season begins with cherries in May and ends with grapes in September / October when you can taste all the varieties and wonder of the variety of flavours. If you are staying ‘bed and breakfast’, enjoy homemade jams.
- Go to the Relais de Monestier by bike or on foot for lunch (5km)
- Read a book in the hammock under the cool shade of the trees in the park (the two houses have a small library and we have many more books on wine and wine-related novels available in the tasting room / wine school).
- Drink the wine of the vineyard you can see: taste, see, smell and feel the terroir.
- Walk to the Lion D’Or restaurant for a delicious dinner with Martine and Luc or to the wonderful 1500 café with Mike and Lee and then have a romantic walk in the moonlight.
- Stargaze with the naked eye or go further with the telescope available in the tasting room. Being rural means little light pollution and a fabulous starry dome in the sky.
- A 12*4m salt water swimming pool
- WIFI broadband
- Large beds (king size)
- Allergen-free cushions, pillows and duvets and organic cotton sheets and towels
- Herb garden with a variety of culinary herbs
- Bicycles (two per house – can be booked so you can have all four)
- A 1 hour tour and tasting at Chateau Feely and a bottle of wine Chateau Feely wine as a welcome gift
- A bag picnic back with a blanket, plates, cups, utensils and cutting boards available in the tasting room
- Full length mirrors and hair dryer included
- Baby gear: cot, high chair and bath is available on request.
PS A concierge service is available (for example, if you are arriving late and need a few items stocked in the fridge or other service, do not hesitate to let us know)
Ten Best things to do in the region
- You are surrounded by an organic farm, which guarantees no pesticides, herbicides or systemic fungicides in the air close to your accommodation. See our top ten reasons to choose organic.
- We provide environmentally friendly cleaning products
- In your holiday home you will find recycling compartments and advice on how to use them in France
- In your holiday home you will find how to contribute your vegetables and fruit waste compost heap on our natural farm
- Both houses are ecologically built with organic paint, natural insulation and low power heating solutions. With each renovation, we make the accommodation more environmentally friendly.
- Rainwater is captured from two rooftops to use the gardens and the farm. All toilets are equipped with dual flush water saving systems.
- For lunches in the tasting room and for breakfasts if you are B&B we provide organic and local products.
- We used eco-design in the Lodge and tasting room with overhangs for a natural temperature management and skylights in the hallways to avoid lights during the day.
- We continually reduce our consumption of electricity (we know we can do more), sheets and towels of naturally dried outside, we use a heat pump to heat water and underfloor heating in the Wine Lodge (solar will be added when the barn roof is redone)
- We share our passion for organic and eco life with guests. We invite you to visit an hour with us to learn more about organic farming
Ten Best things to do in the region
- Canoeing on the Dordogne. Five minutes from us in Gardonne, you can rent a canoe to paddle on the river. We are fortunate to have the cleanest large river of France, the Dordogne, near to us. For families and couples this is a great day out in the summer. Take a picnic, stop on an island to eat and swim or sunbathe.
- Spend a day on the property of wine in our school of French Wine Adventures wine
- We are 45 minutes from St Emilion. Explore the World Heritage vineyards, the village and taste the wines. Even closer you can find the town of Bergerac (20 minutes) where a self guided trail takes you through the old town and the Maison des Vins offers tastings of wine or the walled town of Sainte-Foy la Grande (15 minutes).
- Visit the local markets like Gardonne (a bike ride 4km) on Wednesday and Sunday or Issegeac.
Traditional markets within 30 minutes drive from the Château Feely include:
- Sunday – Issigeac, Gardonne
- Monday – Le Fleix, Duras
- Tuesday – Port Sainte-Foy
- Wednesday – Bergerac, Vélines, Gardonne
- Thursday – Eymet, La Force, Duras
- Friday – Sigoules
- Saturday – Bergerac, Ste Foy La Grande, Duras
- For restaurants the Lion D’Or restaurant or the 1500 cafe in Saussignac (10 min walk), Family Moutier in Monestier a real perigord experience, the Relais de Monestier and Chateau Vigiers which features a bistro and a Michelin Starred gourmet restaurant ‘Les Fresques’. For families at the Pizzeria Gardonne is good and reasonable. Further away but still within 20 minutes there is an almost endless choice, including Au Fil d’Eau in Port Ste Foy, La Table du Marché and L’Imparfait in the old town of Bergerac and La Tour des Vents in Monbazillac which also has a Michelin star.
- Discover the magnificence of the prehistoric caves of the region as Lascaux, painted about 20 000 years and considered the “Sistine Chapel of prehistoric art”. On seeing Lascaux Picasso said: “We have not invented anything” (with ‘modern Art).
- The Gardonne train station 5 minutes can transport you to Bordeaux (a little over an hour on the train) and save you from fighting traffic in a day of exploring this world famous city.
- Spend a day exploring the castles, villages perched on the cliffs and gardens on the road to Sarlat, in the heart of the Dordogne. Beynac, the castle where Richard the Lion Heart lived most of his adult life and the beautiful Gardens of Marqueyssac
- Visit the market in the morning and cool off at the beach of the river to the port of Sainte-Foy (15 minutes drive)
- Explore the castle of Monbazillac and Chateau de Bridoire beautiful castle also known as the castle games since you can play many games in this medieval castle that makes it a great visit for families. Both are about 20 minutes by car.
Special interest holidays
Walking Wine holidays in Bergerac and Bordeaux South West France
Enjoy a couple of days walking in the vineyards. We offer multi day walking tours and single day walking tours. We can also offer maps so you can self guide. We are passionate about the beautiful landscape that surrounds us.
Cycling holidays in the Dordogne
Chateau Feely is perfectly situated close to the border of Dordogne, Gironde and Lot. If you are bringing your bike/s we have a safe place to store your bike/s and there are laundry facilities in both gites. We have four leisure bikes available (2 per gite) for casual cycling around Saussignac. For more serious cycling and special sizes and accessories we have a super bike hire partner. We offer circuit suggestions for loops/ cycle routes from Chateau Feely.
Authors often need quiet holiday, away from the distractions of home and office. During the off-season, our Wine Lodge is the perfect place. Contact us if you are interested in a long lease in winter. With Caro, a published author (Grape Expectations on Amazon, Saving our Skins and latest book Glass Half Full.), it may be the place for you.
Throughout the year, we can organize English language courses with our partner
Sean Caro Feely and look forward to welcoming you to this beautiful organic farm.