Virtual St Emilion Tour & Red Wine Course
Discover the stunning village of St Emilion, the history and the wines. Learn about the red wines of the region, the wine classification of St Emilion and how it compares to other classifications in France. This tour and course will take you on an interactive wine experience via tastings, videos and documents – meet winegrowers and winemakers, travel into the heart of where these wines were born and discover wine tasting and terroir differences through a set of six red wines.
We recommend completing the Virtual Discovery Wine Course before embarking on Virtual St Emilion although it can be done as a standalone.
Why do this course with us?
- Discover (or revisit if you have already been!) the stunning medieval village of St Emilion, its history and people.
- Taste and see contrasts between 2 St Emilion grand crus and 4 Feely wines to delve deep into red wine (6 wine pack – see detail below) – understand in depth from the winegrowers, winemakers and wine specialists
- Learn with award winning wines from an award winning wine school
- Explore the St Emilion grand cru and grand cru classé system and how it compares to other classification systems in France
- Explore a wide breadth of red wines helping you to understand different expressions depending on blend, aging and vintage
- Discover Sensory Wine Tasting
- Learn about the differences between conventional and organic wines and why you should care
- Experience multi-sensory fun as you tune in to videos, taste wines and extend your wine knowledge and tasting experience from your home
The Virtual St Emilion and Red Wine Course -youtube 1 minute trailer
But why do this course with us rather than another online course? See our credentials below.
What exactly is included in the Virtual St Emilion and Red Wine Course? And how will it be delivered? Scroll on down for details.
Chateau Feely and French Wine Adventures credentials
- Listed as one of five top places to learn about wine in the world by Forbes Travel
- Award winning wines, vineyard certified organic and biodynamic for more than a decade
- Tripadvisor certificate of excellence for 9 years running
- WSET (Wine Spirit Education Trust) approved programme provider wine school since 2010 with 100% pass rate
- Gold Trophy Winner at the first National French Wine Tourism awards in 2019
- We’ve been leading tours in St Emilion since 2008
- We’ve been winegrowers in the region since 2005
- Fantastic client reviews (see our tripadvisor listing for more)
- Recommended by the Times, the Daily Telegraph, the Independent, Gloss, Food and Wine, France Today, Living, Petit Futé and Terres de Vins
- Winner of a Best of Wine Tourism Gold trophy for the greater Bordeaux region 2017 and 2013
- Winner of the ‘best of challenge’ for wine tourism and education in Bergerac, Dordogne and Duras 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
The pack and the programme:
* the virtual St Emilion and Red Wine Course is a set of videos and documents divided into 6 core modules with 10 videos + pdf documents + interactive exercises.
* A link to the programme materials – including videos and PDF’s will be sent to you on your personal email that place the order (within 24 hours of your order we will send you the outline document with the links to the video modules).
* The wine (optional) will be sent to your shipping address and be with you within 10 working days in most EU destinations (a month for USA).
Interested in more details? We’ve laid out our complete curriculum below so you know exactly what you’re getting with this programme.
Read on for the full details of the 6 Modules and 6 Wines (optional)
6 Organic Wines including 2 St Emilion Grand Crus
The case of 6 wines -optional – but highly recommended (shipping to EU, UK, and USA). EU and UK participants will have your wines within 7 to 10 working days
- Chateau Bernateau St Emilion Grand Cru
- Chateau Tour Peyronneau St Emilion Grand Gru
- Feely La Source current vintage – barrel-aged blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon with rich dark fruit aromas and flavours
- Feely Résonance current vintage merlot – a youthful fruity dry red wine
- Feely La Source latest bottling – a fresh barrel aged blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon dry red wine with red fruit and dark fruit notes
- Feely Grace – a barrel aged blend of cabernet sauvignon and merlot dry red wine, an aged red wine with cherry and tobacco notes and a long finish
All bottles are 750ml . All wines are certified organic.
The Modules – St Emilion Virtual Experience
- Welcome, what you need, quick overview
Module 1 – Introduction to St Emilion, and to tasting red wines
- Where St Emilion is and how it fits into the terroirs of the region.
- Video of tasting the Grace 2014 and the La Source 2016. Explanation of the difference between the gravels (left bank) and the limestone (classic right bank). Grace and La Source reminiscent of left bank (Grace) and right bank (La Source) wines because of their blends.
- The basics of red wine tasting.
Taste Grace and La Source
Module 2: History of St Emilion
- History of St Emilion
- Visit to the town and monuments
At the end of this module you’ll know the key swathes of history of this fabulous and stylish village
Module 3: The classification of St Emilion
- The classification of St Emilion
- The players in the top rung of St Emilion’s classification
- How it compares to other classifications in Bordeaux and France
- Visit with Benoit Gaillard of ETS Martin for his take on the classification
At the end of this module you’ll understand the complex classification of St Emilion.
Module 4: Terroirs of St Emilion
- The terroirs of St Emilion
- The taste you can expect from the different terroirs of St Emilion
- Visit with Benoit Gaillard of ETS Martin and Karine Lavau of Chateau Bernateau
- St Emilion’s famous neighbour: Pomerol
Taste Château Bernateau and Château Tour Peyronneau
At the end of this module you’ll understand the terroirs of St Emilion and its neighbour Pomerol.
Module 5: Barrel aging, blending and its effects
- The varietals of St Emilion
- Barrel aging versus no barrel aging
- Visit with Antoine Mariau, Chateau Cadet Bon to understand his blending decisions and barrel options
At the end of this module you’ll be able to identify barrel aged wines, understand what goes into blending decisions, explain varietal differences and know the optimal temperature for serving St Emilion.
Taste La Source and Resonance to understand barrel aging versus no barrel aging
Module 6: Generations, biodynamics and economics
- How the deep history of St Emilion is continued by properties that have been here for generations
- The complexities of converting to organic and biodynamic in a family owned business or in a larger business
- Visit with Vince Lignac- Chateau Guadet
- The costs that go into a wine and value of vineyard land in France
At the end of this module you’ll understand some of the complexities of converting to organic / biodynamic in a family owned or larger business, the weight of heritage in St Emilion and the economics of wine and the value of land in St Emilion.
Bonus module – what is organic and biodynamic and why should you care
Final Video –closing remarks and chat with Caro as she walks St Emilion of an early morning
We are excited to share the passion and knowledge we have gained from hands-on winegrowing and winemaking since 2005 and more than a decade of teaching wine to winelovers.
Caro Feely, your instructor is a certified wine educator, an active winegrower and winemaker, a published author of four books about wine and writer of a regular wine column.
Feedback from clients about Caro’s St Emilion Tour that was the inspiration for this programme:
‘A highlight of our trip! Although I appreciate fine wine, I admittedly know little about French wine. Knowing that Caro is a certified wine educator, this day was perfect to begin learning about the French wines of the region.’ Hiho, St Johns (via Tripadvisor reviews)
‘Our private tour of St Emilion was one of the best guided tours my husband & I have ever taken. We had an amazing & informative visit.’ Alana G (via Tripadvisor reviews)
‘I could not have dreamt up a better experience.’ Zina A (via Tripadvisor reviews)
See a video about Chateau Feely’s visits below:
Frequently asked Questions (FAQ)
When does the Course start?
What if I’m not happy ?
If you are not happy within 30 days of signing up to the course we offer a refund on the course content (79 euro).
Where can you ship the wines to?
On the enrollment page you can see the options for shipping either EU and UK or USA.
EU packs include shipping to UK, Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Luxemburg, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia. Finland and Sweden: 15 euro surcharge. Norway and Switzerland: 40 euro surcharge.
If you live elsewhere and would like a quote let us know.
Guarantee Our wines are guaranteed in good condition (no cork taint) and perfect aging thanks to corks that are guaranteed no cork taint. If your bottles get lost or broken en route we replace them or refund your money no quibbles.
Can more than 1 attend on a single enrollment?
If you have booked the course for yourself and want to attend the events or watch the videos with loved one/s in your household you are welcome to do this. It will be more fun for you and will help you learn even more. However we ask that you respect our copyright and don’t share our intellectual property with anyone beyond your household.
How long do I have access to the programme?
You have access to the programme for 12 months from date of purchase. This means you can plan the tastings and the videos at your leisure.
See the photo brochure for Chateau Feely Chateau Feely photo presentation english v2