Wine and Literature – commemoration 100 years Ulysses was published & its mentions of wine
In this article we commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the great James Joyce’s Ulysses (2 February 1922 and also Joyce’s 40th birthday).
Wine references and other random information on this enigmatic and ‘dangerous’ book
- Wine as a word shows up around many times (around 50)
- There are no mentions of Bordeaux wine, just one mention of Bordeaux as a place where someone has a wine lodge (we have one near Bordeaux 🙂 – see our Feely wine lodge here)
- There are 3 mentions of champagne (see Feely brut rose here)
- There are a whopping 7 mentions of Burgundy
- A famous erotic passage includes Burgundy wine – it is on page 167 of our printed copy published by Picador. You can find the full book online at the James Joyce Ulysses ebook online search for Burgundy and you’ll find it as the 3rd reference
- Chateau Feely recommends Feely Grace as accompaniment rather than Burgundy – try reading the passage replacing Burgundy with Grace, and see how great it sounds. 🙂
- Ulysses was banned in the USA when it was first published (due in part to the part referenced above).
- Marilyn Monroe was photographed reading Ulysses in 1955. Eve Arnold, the photographer, later recalled that Marilyn said she loved the sound of the sentences, kept a copy in her car, and occasionally read chunks out loud to make sense of it.
The discovery taster case offers a great mix that includes Grace. Order now EU or choose favourites via the online boutique (eu only). Order a mixed case now UK or email us to order your preferred selection. Order a mixed case now USA or email us to order your preferred selection
James Joyce’s Ulysses is difficult to read
I have to admit I still haven’t read it. I have hopped about and read snippets here and there. Have you read it? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
It is a ‘stream of consciousness novel’ and a treasure trove for foodies. People have completed entire post grad Theses on the food and wine references in it.
For more on wine and literature hop on over to Living magazine for Caro Feely’s latest article ‘Literature and Wine’
#100yearsofUlysses #100thanniversary #books #Experimentalnovel #JamesJoyce #JamesJoyceUlysses #UlyssesCentenary #wineandliterature #feelygrace
I totally understand what Marilyn Monroe meant, there is something quite sumptious about some the roll of the words and descriptions in Ulysses.
The erotic angle seems apt as we head towards Valentines Day. See our posts from previous years about how to create natural homemade and free valentine gifts and our Valentines Day Gift Suggestions page or the Virtual Discovery Wine Course which offers you 6 diverse tastings that you can explore over 6 date nights using our videos and supporting material. This Valentine’s day we wish you joy, health and love. See also the Feely guide to natural aphrodisiacs.
Come and learn more about wine, organic farming and yoga, with a visit to Chateau Feely in South West France ; stay or do a multi day course or multi day tour. Find out more about our way of farming with organic and biodynamic practices on the Feely organic and biodynamic online trail. You can read about the story of this organic farm – the series
Grape Expectations: A Family’s Vineyard Adventure in France (Caro Feely Book 1).
Join the mailing list to receive a seasonal newsletter, events, wine pairing, recipes and more info on this topic at the bottom right of this page.